Beer

Beer

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Crest Homebrew Awesomeness

I've been a working girl lately and haven't really had much luxury time to update the blog like I keep promising I will. I have been keeping up with my Untapp'd account, so you can see all my cool beers there. Or follow me on Twitter, @38rakia

In regards to the last blog, I'll fill ya'll in on what happened when the product finished. SO, puffed millet is not a good substitute for the actual thing. I let it ferment for 2 weeks in my garage and maybe it was the cooler weather that didn't help it out but either way, what I ended up with made me violently ill and I had to unfortunately dump the entire thing.

However, I will be trying to co-brew a mead soon. Provided I can find 6lbs of honey, and honey--ain't cheap.

For those of you in the know, Blue Palms Brewhouse is open once again. Great selection, they have bottles like 38 Degrees--but not nearly as many. Their sausages are fantastic. As my buddy who decided to throw his birthday there said, "anything with Foie Gras is always the right choice". Seriously, the duck foie gras sausage will tempt you into never leaving. They had quite a selection of beers on tap and they had really seriously reasonable prices. The space is small, but frankly, so is Tony's Darts Away. Welcome back Blue Palms!

Speaking of beginnings, you may notice the title of this blog is extremely different. I know, you're thinking "What in the 7 hells is The Crest?". So, in the little town of La Crescenta where I grew up there was once a bar called Whisperz, where you constantly felt like you were going to get stabbed. First and last time I had been to the location, the bartenders and regulars were wearing white, except my friends and I. Needless to say, everyone was thickly tattooed and sort of had that look like they were Hard Core. So we abandoned ship after Kamakaize shots to go to The Fat Dog (hipster infested). But there's a new sheriff in town.

Now the owner has had the place for about a year, and while the outside screams dive bar, simply a neon sign that says "Cocktails"--they have great live bands. Sure, it could use a little decor love. And the peeling paint in the ladies loo reminded me that I was in former Whisperz. It's pretty barren decor wise, but it's clean and that's the important part. That--and not feeling like you're going to get shived. They serve TRUE PINTS. This is SUPER IMPORTANT. Seasoned Beero's know the beveled glass that the Irish and so on consider "True Pints". But for those of you who don't, you're being cheated when you're handed a straight "pint" glass. In a true pint there's a little muffin top in the glass near the rim, this makes it not only eaiser to not drop the glass when you're nice and fubar, but makes it a true legitimate "pint". Beer Honesty, it's important.

Upon first glance, the bar is pretty dead. I mean, there were maybe at most 40 people including us last night between the 2 homebrews I enjoyed. This place deserves a fighting chance, before it becomes lost to time like so many other bars have. My hometown can now brag that we have a legit craft beer bar that hasn't been invaded or overcrowded yet, with TRUE PINTS. Normally the draft selection is extremely impressive, I mean, I was hearing of beers that I know are extremely difficult to get a hold of. And the fact that they stock these is incredible. Now, a bottle selection would be doubly impressive, but, just the fact that they can get their hands on great hard to come by beer is insane.

The bar staff is extremely friendly, I mean when you want a beer it's instant that you are served. They're well educated in their product. They carry cocktails too, hard booze, and some great scotch (hint hint). I mean they really hit pay dirt with what they stock. Now, the Griffin on Los Feliz stocks my favorite vodka Russian Standard, and they carry some seriously insane hard alcohol--The Crest blows them out of the water on having great top shelf stuff.

There's live music, and not crappy music either. Whoever lines up the bands is really good at diversity, and I thank you, even if I can't hear right out of one of my ears currently (my fault, I picked the worst possible seat acoustically). Every last Friday of the month is Home Brew night, and the guys who bring their wonderful tasty children in for the masses deserve medals. There was a chili beer last night being served that is seriously hands down the very best. Stone did one, 6 Rivers has one that allegedly wins medals--lies. I don't know what this guy's secret was but it wasn't undertoned like Stone's Anaheim Chili beer or overdone like 6 Rivers abomination called "chili flavored beer"--it's like drinking liquefied peppers with carbonation, it's foul truly. I never got the man's name but he's ranked about as high as my brewmaster cousin. And no one out does my cousin. Ever.

They had 4 IPA's available and as you know, I'm not a fan of IPA anymore, but these were greatly done. I would've had a pint of every one but I hadn't eaten that day and drunkness does not become me. At 8+%, I'm not about to risk it. There was a Caramel IPA that was velvety, smooth, finished off really nicely.

If you want to dive headfirst into Home Brew, you need to go to The Crest every last Friday of the month. Hell, just go to the Crest either way. I know I am, don't get me wrong, I love TDA and stuff but The Crest is closer to home and I'm interested in seeing how it develops. After a year, it should be popping by now, this bar has a TON of potential.

Thank you gentlemen for the wonderful evening, you'll see me again real soon.

You can find out more about The Crest by going to www.lacrestbar.com

They were raffling off an infused bottle of tequila made by the owner, sadly, I did not win.

Anyways, I'm off to drink an Xingu (which is so good, go buy some, support the rainforest). Hopefully soon I can get back into doing my notes and bringing you better posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment