Beer

Beer

Saturday, February 11, 2012

38 Degrees; A lot to cover in 1 night

So, as promised I said I would write another blog on Saturday about 38 Degrees in Alhambra.

I went with a group of friends, one of which frequented 38 degrees and was shocked to find that I had never set foot in it. Finding parking on a Friday night is a nightmare, but we managed and we were sat immediately even though the place was packed to the gills

Now we spent some time viewing the food menu and immediately setting it aside for the giant drink menu (of course). Upon first glance I saw the list of beers on tap and was completely shocked to see what they had, when I turned the next page, that shock turned to awe. They had things like Deschutes Abyss, which I know came out around Thanksgiving when I went and had practically sold out when my family descended upon the brewpub in Portland and also Jubelale which comes out around the same time in December. I meant to take an official count of both taps available and their bottle selection, but I would guess there's 20-25 tap selections and at least 50 or more bottles available.

While the guys started off with what was called "Clay's Flight", which consisted of: Dogfish Head's Paolo Santo, Big Sky's Space Goat, and Fathom (and I believe Fireworks by Craftsman). I immediately asked the server, "Can I make my own flight?"
"Of course". Granted, there was a bit of a mix up as far as my first four choices but hey, I know how difficult it is to be a server, we don't always get it right. But the server was very good about everything, from grabbing us water to the next round.

I started off with...
1. Drakes Pink Boots Saison
2. Old Stock (by Northcoast Brewing which is one of my all time favorite breweries)
3. Fireworks, by Craftsman (another Saison)
4. Stone Vertical Epic

Another friend went with the SF Beer Week Flight.

In all, we had a second and third round of testers (you would have to spend a week there with at least 6 people to go through everything once, including bottles)...and I'll get to the tasting notes in a moment.

I told 38 Degrees via Twitter that I was coming in, and I didn't really expect much other than "Hey 38rakia!" and that would've been cool. What really seriously made my night and was probably one of the greatest moments in my life was that the owner himself--Clay (of the Clay's Flight) actually came *back in* after leaving and came and found me at our table. We shook hands and talked a bit. That in itself made the night really special, my friends all went, "That was really cool." I'd really like to thank Clay for taking the time to meet me, it really made my night.

The atmosphere of the bar is homey feeling, we spent time looking at the art on the walls and commenting on a few pieces. All in all we had a really good time, and we are going back repeatedly.

Now, I'm just going to list all the tasters we had--along with my notes and even some notes a friend texted me later. I'm not a beer connoisseur, I've only been in the craft bar scene for 2 years and my tastes are not refined enough to be considered "expert opinion". Even though one of my friends would like to think I am (thanks Chris).

-Pink Boots By Drakes, a Saison
Now my ideal Saison is a light, sweet, spicy smelling beer. But Drakes was a little different. It was a dark amber color and a little heavier than what I like, but it was really good (I drank a little IPA so I couldn't really get a good taste on it) and I would totally drink it again.

-Marin's Witty Monk, I'm guessing a witbeer...
It had a really pleasant wheat smell, it was a pale straw color and it was creamy and very light. It went down really well and at the end had a few floral notes (to me and another friend, the boys--not so much). Definitely a great summer beer, easy drink-ability.

-Old Stock, Northcoast
I'm guessing this beer is a seasonal release, because it wasn't one I had ever seen before and I've been to the Northcoast brewery. It's barrel aged, well it tastes Bourbon Barrel aged. I recognize the pineapple taste from when my cousin Chip barrel aged some of his beer, I mean it tasted exactly like Chip's only less heavy. It smells a little pineappley too, if you can, snap this one up quick. Because it's so good.

-Fireworks, Craftsman, a Saison
For a Saison it smelled piney, had a dark reddish amber color. It didn't impress me much, I think because I'm used to a saison being sweeter whereas this was a little sour. I suppose it could've grown on me, but I wasn't that thrilled with it.

-Stone's Vertical Epic, Seasonal Release
This had cinnamon and Anaheim chillies in it. Now, I've had a chili beer before, from 6 Rivers in McKinnleyville (which I cannot stand that chili beer of theirs because of how badly it burns your mouth. Beer + Spicy Peppers? No...) but unlike the chili beer I've had before--this was pretty good. It tastes like an IPA, it's got mild hoppy notes (piney ones rather than grassy ones). You can smell and taste the chilies, but no cinnamon anywhere. It's pretty good, but it's not up my alley.

-Paolo Santo, Dogfish Head, STOUT
It smells of alcohol on first sniff. It's a dark black, which denotes it being a stout. Second sniff, you'll get dark chocolate and coffee (my guy friends got "Vodka" and that was really it). Upon first taste, it's definitely alcohol laden tasting. To the point where you feel like you're drinking hard booze and not a beer. But if you let it warm up a bit, and go in for a second try--you'll just find dark chocolate and coffee with a sort of peaty finish. Looks and first tastes are deceiving...

-Space Goat, Big Sky Brewing, IPA (with Galaxy Hops)
It's definitely an IPA, you'll smell piney notes--the only way I describe it is by saying "This reminds me of Christmas". And actually the taste itself was piney and "christmasy"--I know, not very descriptive. A friend who had Clay's sampler asked me if the pine notes in IPA were because they barrel aged it in pine barrels--which led to a discussion on what IPA stands for and the different notes I've found. I'm not a big IPA person, but Space Goat appeals to me because it's not super in your face with the hops. Excellent choice Chris, Andre, and Clay.

-Fathom, Ballast Point
It smells like sweaty gym socks, which if I can find my beer bible I could tell you what and why that is, maybe the next blog. I gotta do homework. Anyways, Fathom's initial smell might put you off but it's light and not over hoppy. Again, another beer I would gladly consume regularly. It's good. Especially out of a tap.

-Damnation, Russian River Brewing, Belgian Strong Ale
It's got a sweet smell that I couldn't really place in my brain, like Marin's Monk, it's a light straw color. It's sweet and smooth. This Belgian Strong Ale is now a personal favorite. Unlike Gulden Draak it wasn't a sneaky ass kicker. Amazing.

-Scarface, Speakeasy Brewing, Imperial Stout
This reminds me a bit of Old Rasputin. At first it tasted rather tar like and I was put off by it. However the second go around on it, it smells like a mocha. It's black and retains a nice head. Strong notes of dark chocolate and coffee put in a way that makes you feel like you want a piece of cake to go with it. Great dessert beer. A thousand times yes. It's one of the few beers I've found that tastes the way it smells.

-Red Rye, Golden Road Brewing, (LOCAL!)
Golden Road is a brewery owned by Tony Yanow, who may sound familiar because he is. Tony owns Tony's Darts Away and Mohawk Bend and just recently opened Golden Road in Atwater. This is the first Golden Road beer I've had, and I have to say, I am seriously impressed with the imagination on this Rye Beer. I've seen a few reviews that aren't impressed with this beer--and how wrong they are. It reminded me of a Rye IPA I tried recently, it kind of smells like cheese upon first sniff. It's red amber color and the rye is not off putting. It goes down smooth and leaves you feeling like you need a pint of it.

-Hanger 24 Chocolate Porter
There was some confusion at our table with this beer, since it was ordered with Serpent Stout. I ended up pointing out that the stout had to be the darker one and the lighter hued one smelled more like chocolate than the darker one. It's a light brown color, it smells of chocolate and vanilla. It's more like eating a cocoa puffs than drinking a beer. Again, this would be a great dessert beer--put it in some vanilla ice cream. You got yourself a great dessert (Heffeweizen and Vanilla don't mix btw, I've done that).

-Serpent Stout, Lost Abbey
This one is a potent brew, on first sniff it smells like tar. But don't let that daunt you. It presents a very nice mixture of coffee and dark chocolate. Not nearly as chocolately as Hanger 24's porter, but a close second.

-Rhinoceros, Telegraph Brewing Co
This one also tastes like a cask aged beer, it's pineappley with a creamy texture as you drink. It's a nice light amber color. There's notes of banana when it warms up. Definitely have to get this one again.

-Jubilee, Eagle Rock Brewing (LOCAL!)
Eagle Rock is just a stone's throw from Glendale, CA. I've had a lot of their beers before and always been impressed. Jubilee is not different. This one reminds me of Deschutes "The Dissident" which is one of my all time favorite beers (part of me died when my cousin told me it only comes out every 4 years). It's red ale looking, smells a little smokey and tasted like cherries at the end. Which is probably why it reminds me so much of my favorite beer. In the beginning it's sort of reminiscent of red wine. This is now my Dissident replacement, I just hope Eagle Rock doesn't release this every four years.

-Thrill, Beachwood BBQ (Long Beach, LOCAL)
Again, a close to home brewery. Have to make a special trip down there sometime. It's got a light gold color and kept it's head for at least 10 minutes after pour. It's piney tasting and what I call a "Christmasy" beer.

-Oaked Cismotane Aged Double Coulter IPA
Umami, or what I call "Meaty". It's like a marinade when you smell it. A little meaty, a little vinegary. Pineapple notes, spicy herbal taste. Extremely, Extremely GOOD. You have to have a taste of this to really appreciate barrel aged beer.

-Solidarity, Eagle Rock
I've had this before at Tony's Darts Away but I didn't take notes, their Manifesto is super amazing too. Solidarity is a vanilla heavy beer, but again it's a perfect dessert beer. The smell, taste, and the aftertaste are all lightly vanilla. It's a creamy beer. Reminds one of a vanilla latte. Girls will love this beer, especially if you love vanilla.


This blog is a huge one and I apologize for it's length. 38 Degrees brought some great new beers to the table and I'm really impressed with the food as well. Granted I stole a friend's fries, but that Garlic Aioli they use is to die for. I'm a ranch person myself, but when all the fries were gone, we had half of mind to lick the little bowl of aioli clean. Now, by the time we went to order food the kitchen had closed but that meant a trip to Inn N Out.

38 degrees is the place to go if you really want to try different beers or find rarities. A special thanks to Clay for making a special trip to come find me, we all had a wonderful time and I look forward to going to Alhambra more often. If you live in LA and you have time and you want to expand your tastes, look no further. Also, take your time with the 4 page beer menu. If you prefer taps, stick to the first two pages. If you want bottles, believe me, you will find them. 38 degrees was like dying and going to Beervana.

Now next weekend, I think I may go to Verdugo Bar with a friend of mine. They have Delirium Tremens on tap, as well as Saison De Lente (a personal favorite of mine).

If you would like to recommend a place, by all means, send me a PM on Twitter or post a comment. If you have a beer you'd like to recommend, I'd love to try it.

Have a good weekend Ya'll. Look for the next blog soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment