Beer

Beer

Monday, February 27, 2012

Winterfest; an occupational hazard, and a network!

I meant to post this all last night but I got sort of sidetracked.

Winterfest was a large venue at the Belasco, which of course had long lines and beers being changed every time I turned around. There were a lot of people running around with taster glasses who ended up bitching that "why did I pay 38 bucks for this bs, when you have a beer stein that they fill half way!". Yeah they do fill the stein up--and that would be fine if we were Vikings or at a friend's house. When you have 8 beers, most of them being 10% or higher--you want that dinky glass, you do not want to be me. Walkin around--not all there.

I started off with Ta Henket, which I could've and would've drank all day. A nice Dogfish brew with a little sweet honey after taste, considering it was part of my breakfast. Not very alcoholic and they filled my glass up all the way. Now, seriously, I cannot stress enough. Buy the tasters and the steins. See, with the tasters, you can get a little bit of the heavy stuff and if you're like me and you don't really like it--at least you only have an itty bitty glass. Something like Ta Henket--don't bother with the taster. Throw it in a stein.

I ended up grabbing a Golden Road Heffe after some Eagle Rock Deuce (which is Solidarity doubled)and tastes an awful like vanilla extract. Aside from that, I went around to just about every booth. Half the beers I had Untappd didn't have and I forgot at one point to start keeping track. Truth is, I never did find Victory at Sea or Pliny the Younger before my journey came to an end.

Now that taster/stein thing is a wee ridiculous and here's why.

If you get a 5 oz taster and you want to drink more, buy a stein to go with it. Or else have a friend give you one. If you already know what you like, don't buy a taster glass. It's the same cost per token to fill my stein as it is to fill your taster. Yeah, stein versus taster. The tasters for the more seasoned drinkers are a rip off, and one woman told me "They didn't accurately describe what we were getting from the 5 oz taster". A LOT of people I encountered with tasters were livid. They felt seriously ripped off.

SO, if you like to drink and you want more bang for your buck. Buy the stein, don't buy that taster glass. Or trade with a friend for a stein. But if you want to try a variety of beer, buy the tasters. If not, buy the stein. But you've been warned. It costs the same token to fill the stein as it does to fill the taster.

The guy in line slipped up and said tokens were 5 bucks each or 4 for 20. My dad being the more brainy of us two went, "well then give me 5 for 20, neither of those are a deal" and then he corrected himself to 6$ a piece. I really hope they use the same tokens at the next event because I still have like 4 of them.

Now the glasses are 15 bucks each, for the stein. And seriously, go to Tony's or Mohawk Bend to pick them up, do not buy them online. It's far easier to get in with the glass in hand line than it is for the online section. If you'd prefer the taster glass, which in a package is either 28$ or 38$ depending on if you want 5 or 10 taster tokens (you get a fancy blue wrist band!)--which I will probably opt for next time and when I'm less broke. Tokens come in packages too, 4 for 20 is not a bad deal, however I think it's a deal for the $38 dollar package for more taste friendly people like me. My opinion on the tasters though...If you opt for them, you should get a free taste of it before committing 6 dollars to filling your cup. I know, it's about $ but seriously. I don't think 5oz equates to $6. I might be saying that because I am currently underemployed and I am cheap, but I'm also saying that because people were really angry. In the event anyone with a say in ColLAboration reads this, $6 for a 5oz taster is highway robbery. $3 dollars for a taster or free (fill it less than half way, like they do at Tony's when you ask for a sample)--would be a much happier experience for people.

Now Beer fests like these are an opportunity for you social mushrooms to meet other people. We ran into another guy who wore the same fez as my buddy. Blogger hates when I try to upload photos, but I will attempt to post them at the bottom of this page.

Also, speaking of social opportunities, my god there were so many women there. I didn't realize just how many chicks are into craft beer, I was actually really amazed because I didn't think we were a majority. For single people like me, you get thrown into a situation where you get to mingle with other singles in your area, who love beer about as much as you do. I got a few people telling me I should learn how to brew my own beer or asking me if I brew my own beer. Honestly, I am not a very patient person and as much as I love the idea of doing that--again--I am really very broke. And brewkits cost quite a bit of money. Plus, I'd probably actually screw up more than be successful. Brewfests are all about a common interest, and although it was hipster dominated--you meet a lot of people. Especially if like me, you're a smoker and you run out.

Now, admittedly, I got pretty loaded--I tied on one two many beers and the Belsasco was just doing what they needed to do. So once I left to go find food--I was not allowed back in. Although to be fair, I wasn't going to drink anymore BELIEVE ME. I came home and took a power nap until this morning. I saw familiar faces, met a few new ones, and generally had a pretty good time other than being drunk towards the end there. But hey, it's an occupational hazard. And a lesson for the next time I go to ColLAboration, pacing and food is key. I am not a big drinker usually, so I don't quite know my own limits as far as "too much". My body tends to ninja me into this false sense of "I'm still okay" and then 10 minutes later "OH, I am not okay". Seriously, I think I'd be happier with tasters. And seriously, it's probably worth it in the long run--but not for 6 dollars a token for that. PLEASE change that with the tasters.

Thank you Ryan Sweeney (Verdugo/Surly Goat), Brian Lenzo (Blue Palms Brewhouse), Clay Harding (38 degrees), and Tony Yanow (Tony's, Mohawk, Golden Road) for this event. Without the four of you and your staff, we wouldn't have this event. People forget that we have to thank you guys for putting this on, and I would write you all a personal thank you note (as is dictated in Southern Tradition). Without you guys, without the planning and the detail--we wouldn't have a brewfest in LA. So thank you guys, for putting on one of the best beer events I've been to. Ever.

Oh and I never did find Pliny the Younger or Victory at Sea (but to be fair, the lines were so long that I'm sure they were released and instantly poof!). But I did find a lot of really unique beer that I had never heard of and that weren't on Untappd. ColLAboration was a great little event and frankly, they should do it more often. This was better than Portland Beerfest (Yes, I really said that). And someday I will find Pliny the Younger and there will be another Victory at Sea, but there's always next year. Or next brewfest. Whichever comes first.

Here's some pictures for ya'll. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment